Monday, July 5, 2010

Beet Your Ravioli


Skeptical about beet ravioli?

I have wanted to make ravioli with beets for a while and since they were on sale at the store the other day it seemed like the perfect opportunity. But word to the wise, if you plan on making beet ravioli just know that it will be RED (and delicious)!

Honestly, I don’t have much of a recipe. I just took two medium beets and pureed them in the food processor. I found it worked better when I added a little liquid. Although I didn’t want to add too much olive oil so I added egg instead. I figured it was going to go into the pasta dough anyway.

After they were pureed I sieved them to remove all the liquid from the pulp then added half the pulp back into the dough with plenty of semolina and all-purpose flour.

Not much of a recipe, I know, but the pictures are stunning…

In the end the taste was subtle. I stuffed them with classic ricotta and spinach so as not to distract too much. If I ate this blindfolded I don’t know if I would have picked out the beet flavor but I swear it was there.

Slán,
Colin


As always you can check out my etsy shop to buy pottery made exclusively by me!
www.potterybycuchulainn.etsy.com

1 comment:

  1. BTW I think I need to switch to a WVO powered wheel, my current model is electric as you can tell by the first pic!

    ReplyDelete