Thursday, November 18, 2010

Duckanoo

Andrea and I served another chicken and plantain stew the other night and I decided to add a side of duckanoo along with it. And duckanoo is a lot of fun but I think I could open coconuts for a living. That was a lot of fun! So, I thought I'd give a play by play...





First, I began by drilling, Tim Allen style, into the coconut. I actually drilled two holes in the coconut. One to pour and one to allow the air to flow.





After I poured out the liquid I was stuck with a hard knot of coconut. I've heard so many stories about how to go from here. I found that it was easier to just smack it with a hammer. The darn thing is so hard that you won't crush it, you'll just crack the edge off. Coconuts are REALLY hard...





Once the coconut was halved It was necessary to separate the flesh from the hard shell. I just did this by hand. I've actually stuck this in the oven before to allow it to pull away but I found this is easy enough to just pull it apart by hand.





When this was finally done I was left with two nearly equal halves of coconut. What else could I do...





Duckanoo

3 cups corn meal
1 whole coconut
2.5 cups milk
4 oz raisins
0.25 cup butter
0.5 cup demerara sugar
0.25 tsp nutmeg
0.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence

Add the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together. Add them together, wrap in foil packets and drop in boiling water. Simmer for 45 minutes and enjoy, it's that simple!

Fixes...
I thought this could use more coconut and a bit more milk. Maybe 3 cups milk and 25% more coconut, or 25% less of everything else because it does make a lot!

2 comments: